I love developing new leaders, something we call "apprenticeship" around here. Last weekend I co-led a skill with all my campus leaders on the single most impactful thing we can do in ministry (which is invest in people, as in apprenticeship or discipleship). So that got me thinking again about all the great reasons why to have an apprentice.
Let me start with the Top 5 Wrong Reasons To Get An Apprentice:
5) Instant scapegoat at your side for whenever you get criticized
4) No more looking for rides to the airport
3) Finally someone to do all the hard work so you can catch up on sleep
2) Gets you out of having to show up all the time
1) Helps you become the next Donald Trump
Now let's get on with the Top 5 GREAT Reasons To Get An Apprentice:
5) It accomplishes what God wants most--carrying out His mission (Matthew 28, 2 Tim 2:2)
4) It accomplishes what we want most--leaving a legacy that carries on beyond us
3) It allows us to reproduce and start new things (you can go start something new, or they can!)
2) It makes you a better leader (less "making it up on the fly" and more intentionality)
1) It's just a lot more fun to do ministry alongside someone
What do you think?